Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Running tally and needs list - June

I'll keep a running tally of birds I have/don't have here.  Anyone who has ideas on any of those missing birds, feel free to email me or comment below!









Code one birds remaining:  Birds that should /might be around now  Birds that don't seem like code 1 birds

1. Northern Shoveler (All around me and missed, apparently!)
2. Northern Harrier
3. American Coot (Probably not a chance until October!)

Code 2 Birds  Birds that should/might be around Birds that have me worried

1.  Eurasian Wigeon (I expect this is a miss until the fall comes)
2.  Cinnamon Teal (These might be a three, as it turns out.  The best time to catch them was during my May trip.  Whoops!)
3.  Ring-necked Pheasant (Theler and a second location given by a friend may both have lost their pheasants.  Sanderson Field and Hunter Farms are still options, but will they be/have they ever really been countable?)
4.  Ruffed Grouse
5.  Short-billed Dowitcher
6.  Common Murre

Code Three birds.  They will take planning work and luck

1.  Cackling Goose 
2. Blue-winged Teal 
3. Long-tailed Duck  (they are annual, but there's a lot of water to search!  I have to be patient in looking through distant dots)
4.  Ruddy Duck  (I think I'm waiting until fall on this)
5.  Parasitic Jaeger  For this and the alcids below, I plan to spend some time looking off of Hartsene.  The south sound is much better for them than Hood Canal)
6. Rhinoceros Auklet
7.  Spotted Owl  (I will make attempts for these owls, but am not holding my breath.  It would be silly not to try for species that are "annual" in the county, but I wonder if anyone even knows where/if there are any remaining.)
8.  Townsend's Solitaire.   (I looked over BirdWeb - it gives a breeding range that will help me narrow down my search)
9.  Western Meadowlark.  I feel like I have no idea where I'll find one. 

So the 166 birds I've found, plus all of the above (ha!) would be 184. That means I can miss four of them and still hit the record, even if I find no other rare birds!  Four that I'll miss?  erm... Spotted Owl for almost sure.   Townsend's Solitaire and the two teals are looking like they may slip away too.  That still leaves a lot of tough birds!  We shall see...

No comments:

Post a Comment