Tuesday, May 12, 2015

January-May photo highlights

Hey all!
 
I've put together some of the highlights from the year so far.  The zoom isn't the same on this camera as the one I used in www.39counties.blogspot.com, so the birds aren't quite as close, but I've otherwise been pretty happy with the scenery that Mason County has thrown at me.
 
 
That one bridge
 
There is a bridge at the Mary Theler Wetlands that has had my eye since January.  I don't know why I love the shot so much, but I'll try to keep taking it throughout the year.  It's been interesting already to watch it green up and fill in around the bridge.

January
 
March


May
 
Scenery
 
Waterfall from the High Steel Bridge on FR23

Ducks over Theler

An eerily beautiful clear cut I discovered on the Tahuya Peninsula.  I discovered a gate blocking access the next time,
so I'm not convinced that I was supposed to be there!  Thousands and thousands of new trees have been planted.

The soft needles of Western Hemlock - our state tree

Gorgeous morning on Hood Canal from Twanoh State Park

Madrone tree - Twanoh State Park

North of Twanoh on Hood Canal

A scene I've visited multiple times looking for owls - Mary Theler wetlands

Hunter Farms from the back fields.  The routine has been 1) Buy something  2) Tell them about my year
3) Ask if I can walk their fields  4) They say yes and are glad that I asked.

Skokomish River from Hunter Farms

The Bridge to Hartstine Island

Piggy-backed sailboats from the south end of Hartstine

Theler morning

Still Waters farms.   I was told that helping to clean out those boxes in the spring might
give me a good look at a flying squirrel!  I'm getting the rabies shot pronto.

Mary Theler wetlands

Moon over Belfair State Park

Circa Wildberry Lake - Tahuya Peninsula.   This is where I heard Mountain Quail - a bird that lives year-round
just over an hour from my home, but I had never seen or heard one.  So far, I've:  1) Heard one cluck  2) Seen footprints
3) Heard several loud distinctive calls from the location above, and 4)  Watched a quail-sized bird scurry out of a driveway.

Little Egypt Road - South-central Mason County

Hood Canal morning - near Hoodsport

View from the Lower Mount Ellinor trail
 
Cloquallum Road farmland

Birds

Lesser Scaup - Purdy Creek

Canvasback - a tough bird in the county

Double-crested Cormorants - a tough bird in the summer, but
plenty on Hood Canal in the winter.

"Harlan's" Red-tailed Hawk - Theler

Hundreds of Dunlin at Belfair State Park

Trumpeter Swans - Purdy Creek

More shorebirds

White-winged Scoter- Victor Overlook

Greater White-fronted Geese - Hunter Farms

Snow and Canada Goose - Hunter Farms

Hairy Woodpecker - my 100th bird for the year
Cloquallum Road

American Kestrel - Theler

Bonaparte's Gulls - Belfair State Park

White-crowned Sparrow - Theler

Merlin - Skokomish Valley Road

Rufous Hummingbird - feeder near Skokomish Valley Road

Western Bluebird pair - Eells Spring Hill Road

Sandpipers - Theler

American Goldfinches and Purple Finch
at Mountain Quail Mary's feeder

Golden-crowned Sparrow - Theler in May

Tree Swallow at nest - Theler


No comments:

Post a Comment