Friday, October 2, 2015

Running Tally and Needs List

Below is the year list following my October 17-18th trip.  At the bottom is a list of the code 1-3 birds I'm missing.  I'll talk about the rarer birds on my Birds for Thought page, which I'll update soon as well.


Code one birds remaining:  Birds that should /might be around now  Birds that don't seem like code 1 birds
(This list is now empty!  With American Coot, I've seen every code 1 bird in the county)

Code 2 Birds  Birds that should/might be around Birds that have me worried
1.  Eurasian Wigeon
2.  Cinnamon Teal (All but certainly missed)
3.  Ring-necked Pheasant (Not worried anymore on this one.  All of a sudden I have five or so places to look for these - Mason Lake, Hurley-Waldrip Road, the mouth of the Skokomish, Hunter Farms and Theler.  These will be placed on my list because they are on nearly anyone's Mason County list, but it will be done tongue in cheek given their disappearance over the course of the year and sudden reappearance in the last month or so.)
4.  Common Murre

Code Three birds.  They will take planning work and luck

1. Blue-winged Teal 
2. Long-tailed Duck  (they are annual, but there's a lot of water to search!  I have to be patient in looking through distant dots)
3.  Ruddy Duck
4.  Parasitic Jaeger 
6.  Spotted Owl  (I will make attempts for these owls, but am not holding my breath.  It would be silly not to try for species that are "annual" in the county, but I wonder if anyone even knows where/if there are any remaining.)
7.  Townsend's Solitaire. 


So the 178 birds I've found, plus the birds above that aren't crossed out makes 185. That means I can miss five of them and still hit the old record, even if I find no other rare birds!  One miss will probably be Spotted Owl, and Parasitic Jaeger may slip away if I don't hurry!  It's certainly getting down to a short list, so I'm going to revise the Birds for Thought page to reflect the ones that may show up down the stretch.

No comments:

Post a Comment