Thursday, March 5, 2015

Watching and waiting

I knew I was doing this year on a budget.  The budget is primarily time related.  I am planning monthly trips over to Mason, and in this case the February trip and March trip are over a month away from each other!  In late March, there is a field trip running to Mason County through the Washington Ornithological Society, and I plan on attending.   That would be a single day trip, and I think I will try to come over Saturday after my son's volleyball game finishes up in Seattle. 

If I was inclined to chase... there have been a few tempting birds coming through, but so far, it hasn't been enough to get me to drop what I'm doing with work, family and friends at home.  Still, I want the blog to be as useful as possible - not just for the year I had, but for understanding birds that come through, so here goes:

What I've been missing (in taxonomical order):

1)  Cackling Goose   A flock of these came through Theler around the time of my last trip in late February.  I missed them and I don't think more have come through.  Bar charts tell me these will be back in the fall in bigger numbers.  Fingers crossed for this Code 3 bird, but I'm glad I have four other species of geese in the bag.

2)  Tundra Swan   Two were seen by the Denny's in mid-January.  I had suspicions about some swans that I had pictures of, but the consensus has not pointed towards Tundra for any of them.  I'm not expecting these to come back through, as they are a Code 5 bird.

3)  Northern Shoveler   These were not recorded in the county until the first of March - 8 near Alderbrook.  This is one of those birds in the county that just seems tougher than it should be!  I have had them before at Kennedy Creek, and continuing to check estuaries should pull some up so I didn't need to chase this sighting.

4)  Black Scoter  There have been actually an embarrassing number of sightings of these, and I hope they are around for the March trip so I don't have to sweat it in the fall.   Again... how many surf scoters do I have to look at??  How many??  This bird is not one to chase - it's one to find with patience and persistence.

5) Ruddy Duck  A code three bird seen at Theler in February, with some other sporadic sightings in December from Mason Lake and Skookum Inlet.   I haven't birded at either of the last two locations, and I think that needs to get resolved soon.  They won't be part of the March field trip, so perhaps a quick visit there will be in order.  I know the Biser's want to see this one, as Ruddy Duck is Beth's favorite bird - hopefully one will hang around somewhere for us soon, but no sightings have been repeated anywhere.  Not a chase bird.

6)  Ring-necked Pheasant  Sitting at Theler every day and I keep missing it.  I have two other leads on places to find these in the county.

7)  Ruffed Grouse  These are a yard bird for the Biser's and I am hopeful that by the end of May I will have seen one or at least heard them drumming.

8)  Sooty Grouse  Someone made a trip up to the Mount Ellinor Trail and found some Sooties!  This was a fun sighting to see - no rush on them, although getting them earlier will be better than later.  I have unfinished business down low before I start looking for high-elevation birds.

9)  Mountain Quail   Matt Bartels had some calling on Elfendahl Pass while scouting for the trip.  They shouldn't be a hard bird on the day of the field trip.  Seeing them can be tough.

10)  Pacific Loon  See Black Scoter

11)  Eared Grebe  See Pacific Loon  (These three birds... I gotta get 'em.   The March field trip should give me chances to see all three, although I'd be surprised if we got all of them.)

12)  Green Heron  No eBird sightings, but Dave at the Trout Hatchery has them every... single.. day... As many as two of them.   Eventually, I'll just be there from sunrise to sundown if I have to!  Or fill out an application for work at the hatchery.  I'll get it.  Up to three attempts now, and another attempt will be added in March on the field trip.

13)  Turkey Vulture  They're back!  Yay!  No need to chase.  They'll be around

14)  Northern Harrier  Code one bird - yeesh.  There have been sightings at Twanoh and at the mouth of the Skokomish.  I had a phantom bird that could have been one at the mouth of the Skoke, but I should find one... right?  I should?   It will be a relief when I do.

15)  Virginia Rail  Yeah, they show up on every trip report from Theler.  I have had them at Theler.  I've tried for them this year in the exact same place but am oh for three now.  March... March... It's not like they're going anywhere.

16)  American Coot  I included this ridiculous bird just out of principle.  Nobody has seen any of them but they are a code 1 bird in the county, so there are some of them somewhere.  Probably... maybe.  I don't know.  Where are they?

17)  Greater Yellowlegs  Easy bird once spring rolls in, but there was a sighting from the Skokomish Valley.

18)  Least Sandpiper  From Theler.  No big deal - there will be more.

19)  Sanderling   Now... hold on!   This showed up on ebird, but has not shown up on the Mason year list on eBird.  I almost chased that sighting, but simply couldn't.  This is a Code 4 bird, and it would be great to know what happened to the original report from Theler.

20)  California Gull  Some are hanging around.  There should be more in summer.

21)  Band-tailed Pigeon  They were in the county during my last visit, but they are IN the county now.

22)  Spotted Owl  Well... I'm checking on this.  I hope I can bring one of these to the blog this year, just to let people know they're still here.  Apologies if I don't give out GPS coordinates to the nest site, but there's rules out there for these guys.

23)  Northern Pygmy-Owl  Elfendahl Pass Road in the wee hours a week ago.  Very cool to see them added in on eBird, and it gives me another place to look for this owl.  No shortage.

24)  Barred Owl  I'm up to like... eleven leads on Barred Owl.  No chasing needed.

25)  Gray Jay  Up top - no problem.  I'll get there.  They were seen on the Mount Ellinor Trail.

26)  Barn Swallow  Ten are already here.  Ten million will follow.

27)  Orange-crowned Warbler  One sighting from Theler.  I am hopeful some will be singing on the March trip.

28)  Lincoln's Sparrow   April may give me better chances, but I may find myself scouring every sparrow patch in the county next fall!

29)  Western Meadowlark  Dang it.  Seen and photographed at Theler a week or two ago and not since.  This was one of those birds where I wasn't sure where it might show up.  Theler may be the answer for a lot of birds like that.  It's pretty good habitat!

So... I guess I have to apologize for not having a total of 130 at this point!  or... somewhere around there.   This is at least a summary of what might be on my list if birding Mason County was the only thing taking up my time!  

Hang in there, faithful readers!

-Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment