Sunday, January 25, 2015

Running tally and needs list

I'll keep a running tally of birds I have/don't have here.  Anyone who has ideas on any of those missing birds, feel free to email me or comment below!


 


Also, I have updated the birds below, as the seasons are changing!  Some of them are here now, some are leaving, and my next trip won't be until at least mid-April I think.

Code one birds remaining:  Birds that should /might be around now  Birds that don't seem like code 1 birds

1. Northern Shoveler
2. Northern Harrier
3. American Coot (Probably not a chance until October!)
4.  California Gull
5.  Swainson's Thrush
6.  Cedar Waxwing

Code 2 Birds  Birds that should/might be around Birds that have me worried

1.  Eurasian Wigeon (I expect this is a miss until the fall comes)
2.  Cinnamon Teal (These might be a three, as it turns out.  The best time to catch them was during my last trip.  Whoops!)
3.  Ring-necked Pheasant (Theler and a second location given by a friend may both have lost their pheasants.  Sanderson Field and Hunter Farms are still options)
4.  Ruffed Grouse
5.  Spotted Sandpiper (but easier later)
6.  Short-billed Dowitcher
7.  Common Murre
8.  Common Nighthawk
9.  Western Wood-Pewee
10.  Willow Flycatcher
11.  Chipping Sparrow

Code Three birds.  They will take planning work and luck


1.  Cackling Goose 
2. Blue-winged Teal 
3. Long-tailed Duck  (they are annual, but there's a lot of water to search!  I have to be patient in looking through distant dots)
4.  Ruddy Duck  (I've already seen some reports)
5.  Lesser Yellowlegs
6.  Long-billed Dowitcher   (I plan to make some of my own luck by getting other birds seen early, so that I can plan on hitting good shorebird spots when there are good tides.  So far so good!  I have a sense that I will miss at least one of these, and that I am just as likely to see some less common shorebird just from happening to be in the right place at the right time.  I hope the Yellowlegs and Dowitcher vocalize...but I'm ready to get pics and study these little dudes to distinguish them from their close cousins)
7.  Parasitic Jaeger  For this and the alcids below, I plan to spend some time looking off of Hartsene.  The south sound is much better for them than Hood Canal)
8. Marbled Murrelet
9. Rhinoceros Auklet
10.  Spotted Owl  (I will make attempts for these owls, but am not holding my breath.  It would be silly not to try for species that are "annual" in the county, but I wonder if anyone even knows where/if there are any remaining.)
11.  Horned Lark (Supposed to be at Sanderson Field.   It'll take time to search. Update in May - the area where they had been may have been reduced, with parking adjacent to it.  No sign of them this year!)
12.  Townsend's Solitaire.   (I don't think that I have in my life sought out a Townsend's Solitaire and found one.  I may be wrong on that, but I think they kind of just find you if you're out there birding enough.  I'm always surprised to see them)
13.  Western Meadowlark.  I feel like I have no idea where I'll find one. 

So if anyone comes across birds from the 2-3 lists (or of course anything more rare!) I'd love to hear about it!  For that matter, a coot or a shoveler would be an exciting report!  I do have a couple of 4's that I'm going to go after.  I will get one or two of the following... it might just be one... but you'll see some interesting attempts on these birds: Golden Eagle, Northern Goshawk, California Quail, House Wren, Common Tern, Red-necked Phalarope.  I'm not banking on any one of them in particular, but I have at least good thoughts on all of them.  We shall see how it goes!  OH!  And I'll get one Code 5 shorebird this year.  I have a good hunch on that.  I'll take guesses on which one.

Happy birding! 

No comments:

Post a Comment